I am a soup/stew/goulash lover and am always on the hunt for a new one to warm my bones. I stumbled upon a Black Eyed Pea and Kale version about a month ago and finally got around to making it the other day.
The recipe is from Superfood Kitchen: Cooking with Nature’s most Amazing Foods by Julie Morris and you can find it online here.
You will need:
1 Tbsp. coconut oil
2 cups diced white onions (about 1 medium onion)
6 cloves garlic, minced
3 stalks celery, diced
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 Tbsp. chopped fresh oregano leaves
1/2 Tbsp. chopped fresh thyme leaves
1/4 tsp. chipotle powder
1 Tbsp. smoked paprika
3 cups vegetable broth
3 cups water
3 cups cooked black-eyed peas
1 head kale, stems discarded and leaves chopped
Juice of 1/2 lemon
Fresh parsley, chopped, for garnish
(original recipe called for 2 Tbsp. ground wakame flakes as well but I didn’t have any on hand so I left those out)
- Melt the coconut oil over medium high heat in a large pot
- Add Onion and Garlic and cook for about 3 minutes stirring occasionally
- Add Celery and Bell Pepper and cook for 3 more minutes
- Stir in Oregano, Thyme, Chipotle, and Paprika and cook for about 30 seconds
- Add Vegetable Broth, Water, and Black Eyed Peas and bring to a simmer then cook uncovered for 30 minutes. (you can add more water if you need while cooking if it gets too dry, but I didn’t need any additional liquid)
- When the soup is cooked, stir in Kale and keep on heat for a minute longer, just to wilt it.
- Remove from heat and add Lemon and Parsley and EAT!
I have taken this to work and reheated it for the past two days and it is just as good out of the microwave as it is fresh off the stove. It packs two sources of protein and is filling without being heavy at all. I will be making this again very soon!
Let me know if you try it, and what your favorite winter warming recipes are!